Woof! Come Blog With Me

If you'd like to blog here, but haven't received an invitation, you'll need to request permission from my person at snookyk@gmail.com . She's taking care of all of that for me; I'm too busy planning my posts to be distracted by the technicalities - and after all, isn't serving us their job?
___________________________________________


Friday, April 16, 2010

Adding to the Family


When I first came to live with my people, I was introduced to my new brother. He was called Daley some of the time and Spikie some of the time.
.
.
.
I remember when Spooky came to live with us. In a previous post, she said I didn't like her much when she first appeared on the scene. She's right. Let me explain.

I was no pup when I came to live here. I was a year and a half old, so although I immediately fell in love with my lady, adjusting to the situation was not instantaneous.

There was an old dog living here, my new brother. My lady called him Daley, but the old guy called him Spike. Daley was a kind old dog, semi-retired, and he didn't bother me much. After a short time we got along fine - mostly just ignoring one another. He never bothered my stuff and I returned the favor. I did tease him a little, but I wasn't a pest like, ahem, someone else.

It wasn't long before Spooky came along and there was no ignoring her. She just waltzed in, perky as could be, and proceeded to take all my stuff. Truth is, she still lays claim to all of my toys - I no longer have any, not even the two little toy dogs my lady gave me after she'd been in the hospital - my reward for good behavior in her absence.

But Spooky and I get along okay now -- all due to my efforts, I might add. I ignore the toys. I also ignore her most the time, but sometimes I do deign to play with the little thief. I have to admit, she can be quite a pleasant playmate.

Together we can raise quite a ruckus when we decide to call attention to trespassers on our property. Some people and dogs and squirrels just don't seem to realize that our property includes the streets in front and back as well as the yards beyond those streets. I could do the protection job myself, but I look at it like this: one day I'll want to retire, so it's my duty to train the youngster.

Her training is progressing nicely. I wouldn't say she's a particularly fast learner; it's more like I'm a great teacher.

WoofDah! She's one lucky dog!

Tinker

No comments:

Post a Comment